Hope, Love, and Power
“Oh, Israel, hope in the Lord!
For with the Lord there is steadfast love,
and with him is great power to redeem.” (Psalm 130:7)
Here are just a few of the things that have crossed my mind in the last 24 hours:
- Good Lord! Haiti cannot catch a break!
- If the goal of a debate is mainly to trash your opponent, what are we really learning? Is this really helping anyone discern anything?
- Our 22-year-old daughter is in her first year of teaching, has 29 4th-graders who have very different abilities, is not assigned a mentor as a first-year teacher, and her “on the job” learning is off the charts right now. What an uphill climb!
- Man, my life is not in flow at all today! Everything - everything! - seems like a struggle. (Tuesday)
- Contemplating the “communion of saints” as four of us received communion together, with one in our midst still hanging on in his fight against cancer... and reflecting on all the people who are praying, nursing, listening, counseling, running errands, serving, and praying some more. This IS the church... whether we all belong to a church or not.
- Getting to know other colleagues in ministry as we seek to create more opportunities for our various congregations to work collaboratively in worship, youth ministry, and on mission trips.
- I don’t run up the hills of my neighborhood as quickly as I used to! (And maybe that is just fine!)
- Stewardship season and Commitment Sunday approaching - another opportunity to examine whether we really believe in the law of scarcity or in a God of abundance!
And then I read Psalm 130, one of the appointed Psalms for today, and come across verse 7 (above).
In the same verse we find the words hope, love, and power - and they are all connected to the Lord. Hope in the Lord. With the Lord there is steadfast love. With him - the Lord - there is great power to redeem.
This aligns with my life experience.
I can easily think there is not much hope for us until I remember that God is with us and for us, and then my entire outlook shifts, and a weight is lifted off of my shoulders.
When I think about God’s steadfast love, I am reminded that I’m supposed to be a channel of God’s love... wherever I go. All the more reason to stay connected to God - or I’m not going to be much of a channel!
There is great power with Him. It doesn’t always feel like I am very powerful when I am just relying on my own strength, but when I acknowledge the presence of Spirit within me, then I - and we - are suddenly very creative... very powerful... able to move mountains... able to serve thousands... able (period)... and quite capable.
Whatever happens in the next 24 hours, and whatever the results of the November elections... there will remain a powerful force for good in this world, that is always loving us and all of creation into life and into love.
Let’s align ourselves with that Force.